Friday, January 23, 2009

FREEBIE FRIDAY with A.S. King!

OK, so I had a completely different Freebie Friday in mind for today (hint: it involves President Obama's call for service and a challenge for you all, so you might want to think on that a bit and store up your ideas for later, because we could have fun with it...)

ANYWAY, then I got the interview questions back from Amy last night and I couldn't wait to share them with you. I'm so excited for the upcoming release of her book, DUST OF 100 DOGS, that I thought we could do a countdown of sorts here on the blog:



Check that! Only a week and change until the book comes out as I'm writing this. Preorder yours now, you guys. It promises to be a great read. Look at all the awesomeness about it circulating around the web already:

"Entertaining, multi-layered, smart and definitely gripping." ~Bookshelves of Doom

"Not to be missed." ~Jen Robinson's Book Page

"I expect big things from this one." ~Reviewer X

"Spectacular. I am not kidding when I say this novel blew my mind." ~Book Divas


"This is a completely original, crazy story that will suck you in and hold onto you." ~Readers' Rants

And now on to the interview:

1. What inspired you to write DUST OF 100 DOGS?
I think the idea came from my first explorations of Irish history. I used to walk my dogs down my small road [in Ireland] and think of the people who had walked that road before me. The rest unraveled from there. A trip to Jamaica helped. (When does a trip to Jamaica not help?) My exploration of what Ireland has endured for over 800 years stirred feelings about the things that women have endured for even longer.


2. Are any of your characters based on real people (or canines) that you know?

There might be a familiar canine in D100D, but no – no characters or events are based on anything real. I steer clear of reality in my fiction. It’s easier that way.


3. What
excites you?
Right now? If you gave me a packet of Mike & Ikes, I’d get really excited. I haven’t had one since New Year’s Day. Oh – you mean like, for real? History, nature, music and love. Also, quiet stargazing.

4. What turns you off?

Entitlement, laziness and blasé consumerism.

5. If you had to spend a lifetime as a dog, which breed would you like to be and why?
Something big, but not too drooly. Like a Doberman or a big Labrador, maybe. (Why? Because drooling looks like a pain, and being big means I would feel safer.) And since we’re daydreaming, I’d like to live near a beach with an easily accessible butcher shop.


6. What's the biggest lie you ever told, and what happened as a result of the telling?

The biggest lie was every time I ever whined, “I know!” The disastrous result was not learning as much as I could have.

7. If you could invite anyone you wanted - living or dead - to hang out with you at a weekend retreat, who would you invite and why? Where would you go?

I’d hang out with my husband and Bob Marley – and we’d go to Jamaica and hit the beach and kick around a soccer ball for the afternoons, play music in the evenings and swim in the mornings.
Or
I’d hang out with my maternal grandmother and her mother-in-law on a sunny
weekend in summer, here in the woods. We’d probably make some great food.
Or

I’d take a three-day-long walk with Walt Whitman.
Or

If I don’t stop now, this list could go on forever.


8. What's one thing most people don't know about you?

I floss my teeth in the shower. (I’m pretty sure most people don’t know this about me.)


9. What's your favorite quote?
“Never be swayed by anything but by your own work and vision.” Tony
O’Malley

10. Milk Chocolate or Dark?

Milk, without question.

Now for your Freebie - up for grabs this week is this way cute pair of dog designed earrings to celebrate Do100D. Or, for those of you who may not wear earrings, a $10 Barnes and Noble gift certificate. To enter, simply leave a comment below telling me what kind of dog you would want to be, if you were cursed to live your life (or multiple lives!) as a dog.

This contest will remain open until the Do100D launch date, February 1.

P.S. For your viewing entertainment, I'll leave you with the trailer for Do100D. Enjoy!