Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Finland: IDOLS!

I don't know about you all, but I'm an American Idol groupie. (I like the tryouts because they're just so weird and I like the finals because the stable has been weeded out - if you will pardon the mixed metaphor. Sometimes don't have patience the stuff in between, though...) This past season I was rooting for Elliott and Chris, who were both robbed. ROBBED, I tell you!

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure you know that the Idol craze is not limited to America. More than 30 countries have their own Idols contests, including Finland. They've had two seasons here so far.

One of the finalists last year was Roni Tran Binh Trong, who we had the pleasure of seeing in concert. If you guessed his is not a typical Finnish name, you're right. His heritage is Vietnamese, though he was born in Thailand grew up in Finland. Whatever his background, I just have to say, he was one awesome entertainer. Smooth, mellow voice, very cute, just the right amount of dance moves.






The concert hall in Hyvinkaa was rather small, so it felt like we were getting a personal performance, which was pretty cool. Anna was able to stand right next to the stage and took these photos for me. Here's Anna after the performance with Roni.



Special thanks to Roni for his permission to post these photos on my blog. Best of luck on a long and profitable career!