Friday, September 11, 2009

FREEBIE FRIDAY with Jessica Burkhart

Today we have a special freebie. Instead of an interview, tween series author Jessica Burkhart dropped by to tell us about the photo shoot she attended this week for books 9-12 in the series. I have to tell you, this is a kind of dream of mine. How cool would it be to meet the real life personification of characters you created?

If you aren't familiar with Jessica's books, she writes the CANTERWOOD CREST series, which follows a young riding student, Sasha Silver, as she attends the Canterwood Crest Academy, an exclusive (and highly competitive) school for gifted equestrians. (Sasha is living my dream! (One of them, anyway...) )

And now, I'm going to turn the post over to Jessica:

I was so excited when Linda asked me to stop over and talk about the Canterwood Crest photo shoot that happened on Wednesday. I’m lucky, as an author, that I got to attend the shoot and was even luckier that I got to vlog and take photos this time. I interviewed each Canterwood model, talked to the stylists about what every girl needs in her wardrobe and took some candid shots of the girls relaxing in hair and makeup. So. Much. Fun. I’m dying to spill everything on my blog right now, but I want to save it and show it to everyone in bits and pieces.

It’s the third time I’ve met and worked with the models who play Sasha, Callie and Heather so it was like a Canterwood reunion. :) I see their faces when I write their characters, so it was good for me to see them and spend time hanging out. And there was a LOT of that going on since it was a solid 12+ hour day of work. I thought being a writer was hard some days—the CC models are rock stars! We added two new models to the group (one for a character we’ve yet to feature and one who is a fan fave) and they fit right into the mix and started working.

I love that I’m able to come to the shoots and that I’ve got the best team of people who are as invested as these books as I am.

The best moment of the shoot: laughing hysterically (it sounds mean, but it wasn’t, I swear!) when a horse nibbled on Editor Kate’s jacket and she almost had a coronary.

The worst moment of the shoot: getting up at 4:15am. Ugggh.

I can’t wait to see what our designer puts together with the covers. She’s a genius, seriously, and I know the final products are going to be fab.

You can read more about the photo shoot over on Jessica's blog, and check out the CANTERWOOD CREST books on the website. You can also follow her on twitter!

Jessica has generously offered a signed copy of TRIPLE FAULT for this week's freebie. To be entered to win, leave a comment below. Do you love horses? Do you ride? Have you ever wanted to ride? Have any horsey stories? Share them here!

This drawing will remain open until Wednesday, September 16.