Friday, June 05, 2009

Freebie Friday - Summer Reads

It's official - the kids are out of school and the mercury's rising. Summer has arrived, at least in our Ohio town.

With summer comes a whole new attitude, a new set of rules. For instance, my soon-to-be fifth grader son and I lounged around reading until 11 this morning. No chores, no work, no TV, no computer, no breakfast, no showers, just us on the big couch with our books. Maybe this afternoon we'll head to the pool and read some more. I love summer.

Here are some just-released and about-to-be-released suggestions from me:

A KISS IN TIME by Alex Flinn. I love fractured fairy tales and this take on Sleeping Beauty is thoughtful and just plain fun.

WINGS by Aprilynne Pike. This debut novel hit #6 on the NYT bestseller list in its first week. Yay, Aprilynne! A quick, enjoyable read with a completely unique take on faeries.

LOVESTRUCK SUMMER by Melissa Walker. The perfect beach read. A romantic comedy with depth and perfectly lovable characters.

GODDESS BOOT CAMP by Tera Lynn Childs. If you haven't read OH.MY.GODS. yet, do it now and get ready for the next book! (Hint... TLC will be here giving away a copy in two weeks!)

DON'T JUDGE A GIRL BY HER COVER by Ally Carter. Can I just tell you how much I love the characters and humor in the Gallagher Girl series? This one comes out next week and my daughters and I will have to fight over which one of us gets it first.

ALONG FOR THE RIDE by Sarah Dessen. You know how much I adore Sarah Dessen. This one comes out June 16. Which should give me just enough time to finish DJAGBHC. : )

BLUE MOON by Alyson Noel. Again, if you haven't yet read EVERMORE, do it now so you'll be ready for this July 7th release!


I could keep going, but I'll give you a little air time. What about you? What books are you looking forward to reading this summer? What books to you recommend I add to my huge TBR pile? Leave a comment below to be entered to win a copy of another perfect summer selection, MIND RAIN - an anthology of essays about Scott Westerfield's UGLIES trilogy by YA authors such as Robin Wasserman, Diana Peterfreund, Rosemary Clement-Moore, Jennifer Lynn Barnes and me!

This drawing will remain open until Tuesday, June 9.

AND - For two chances to win a copy of DEATH BY DENIM, check out this contest on SereneHours.

AND this contest at Bibliophiles R Us.