Friday, March 19, 2010

FF- The Unwritten Rule by Elizabeth Scott

This week I'm pleased to welcome GCC sister Elizabeth Scott to the blog, celebrating the release of her latest YA novel, THE UNWRITTEN RULE.

The Author:

Elizabeth Scott grew up in a town so small it didn't even have a post office, though it did boast an impressive cattle population. She's sold hardware and panty hose and had a memorable three-day stint in the dot-com industry, where she learned that she really didn't want a career burning CDs. She lives just outside Washington, DC, with her husband; firmly believes you can never own too many books; and would love it if you visited her website, http://www.elizabethwrites.com. You can also follow Elizabeth on her blog, on facebook, on myspace and on twitter.

The Book:

Everyone knows the unwritten rule: You don't like you best friend's boyfriend.

Sarah has had a crush on Ryan for years. He's easy to talk to, supersmart, and totally gets her. Lately it even seems like he's paying extra attention to her. Everything would be perfect except for two things: Ryan is Brianna's boyfriend, and Brianna is Sarah's best friend.

Sarah forces herself to avoid Ryan and tries to convince herself not to like him. She feels so guilty for wanting him, and the last thing she wants is to hurt her best friend. But when she's thrown together with Ryan one night, something happens. It's wonderful...and awful.

Sarah is torn apart by guilt, but what she feels is nothing short of addiction, and she can't stop herself from wanting more...


The Interview:

What inspired you to write The Unwritten Rule?
It actually came about because my editor at Simon Pulse, Jennifer Klonsky, and I were talking about friendships and high school and the things you just instinctively knew you could never ever do then, like be interested in a friend's boyfriend and I said, "Yeah, it's like the unwritten rule," and bam! There was the story. It just popped into my head--all the characters, everything that was going to happen--and I love my editor for letting me take the idea and run with it!

Have you ever had a premonition? What happened?
I knew my husband was someone special and that he was going to be in my life the first time I ever saw him. And since he's my husband, I guess I was right!
Are you superstitious in any way?
I don't know why, but I really hate it when it's a Friday the 13th.

What's one thing most people don't know about you?
I'm allergic to so many things it's sad. And it sucks. Going outside for more than twenty minutes from March to October--forget it! However, I am a very cheap dinner date...
What are you working on now?
My next book, Grace, will be out from Dutton in September. It's about a girl who's been raised to be a suicide bomber--and what happens when she decides she wants to live.

What is an interesting writing quirk of yours?
I have to be wearing my comfy black pants. (Well, I don't have to be, but I sure like to be!)

What kind of chocolate best describes you? None--I'm allergic to it! (See, told you I had so many allergies it was sad...)

The Freebie:

Up for grabs this week is a signed copy of THE UNWRITTEN RULE. To be entered to win, leave a comment below, telling us about the any unwritten rules you might have with your friends. This drawing will remain open until Wednesday, March 24.

Edited to add: D'oh! I keep calling this book "The Unspoken Rule" on Twitter. I am mortified. Please make me feel better by sharing something embarrassing you've done recently. All comments will equal one entry in the drawing.