Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Ode to Books


Over at TFC today, Alyson Noel asked about books that changed our lives. I listed two in my reply; CITY OF JOY by Dominique LaPierre and A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN by Betty Smith.

Both of these books dealt with hardship and poverty, but they showed the characters rising above their circumstances. When I read them, I gained a whole new perspective and appreciation for what I have.

As I think about it, though, there are so many more books that have shaped the way I see things, taught me about life, given me joy, grew my vision outside my own small world. Books have been a constant in my life and each one of them I've read has contributed something to the way I think, act and feel. In short, books are life.

What do you think? Have you read any books that you believe changed your life?