Friday, August 13, 2010

Freebie Friday the 13th

I'm not superstitious. I'm really not. So I don't believe that Friday the 13th is unlucky. In fact, I was born on a Friday the 13th. I'm not going to count that as unlucky.

But...

Well, if I was ever going to rethink my stance on superstition, today might have been a tipping point. I won't go into the boring details, but let's just say a lot went wrong. Including the tiny little problem that our scheduled Freebie Friday guest will not be joining us today.

But in a little twist of fate...

Since I couldn't get my act together, I decided to re-watch an old movie - "ONLY YOU" with Marisa Tomei and a young Robert Downey, Junior. (I'm currently breaking down movies after taking a workshop with Alexandra Sokoloff, and this was one of the movies I chose.) Loved, loved, loved it.

Marisa Tomei plays Faith, a hopeless romantic who believes she is destined to meet and marry a man by the name of Damon Bradley (a name spelled out on her Ouija board when she was 11.) Despite her dream that she'll find Damon, she becomes engaged to a less-than-romantic podiatrist. Shortly before the wedding, her fiance's classmate calls asking for him. The classmate is none other than Damon Bradley, who is on his way to Venice. Of course, as these movies go, Faith believes the phone call is fate, and races to the airport to meet Damon. This movie was made pre-9/11, so she's able to race right up to the gate, just in time to see Damon's plane pulling away. So - what else - she follows him to Italy. Her sister-in-law Kate (Bonnie Hunt, whom I adore) accompanies Faith to help her find Damon and realize her destiny.

Just a note - Robert Downey, Jr. speaking Italian is hot.

Memorable line, Kate's husband Larry (Fisher Stevens), upon hearing that Kate has gone to Italy: "IT-lee? What the hell is my wife doing in IT-lee?!"

This was a great movie to break down. It followed the romantic formula so well. Among the themes - very clearly stated - were, "You can't push it, you have to just let it happen." "True love is what counts" and, of course, destiny. "You make your own destiny."

So here's today's Freebie Friday question - do you believe in fate/destiny? Why or why not? Up for grabs is a movie pack - microwave popcorn, Junior Mints, and a copy of "ONLY YOU" on DVD.

Oh, and don't forget the TRANCE Countdown kickoff contest going on all this month. Enter and you could win $160 in CSN money!