Friday, May 15, 2009

The Party Continues with Amanda Ashby

Amanda Ashby's going to keep the party going for me as I run down to the signing in West Chester. Hope to see some of you there! You may remember Amanda from the zombie blog party recently - she's the author of ZOMBIE QUEEN OF NEWBURY HIGH and YOU HAD ME AT HALO. Amanda's partying long distance since she lives in New Zealand!

Denim through the ages

When Linda asked me to write about my favorite pair of jeans I instantly refused since really, that's like asking me to pick my favorite child (though with the way my son has been behaving lately, perhaps that's not actually as hard as it seems - I joke, I joke). But the truth is that I love jeans. Like really love them and I pretty much wear them everyday of the year apart from when it's too hot. In fact I can't remember a time when I wasn't obsessed with denim.

In the eighties I was forever sewing my jeans in to make them tighter, not to mention patching them, My favorite pair was light denim, ripped at the knees and quite literally required me to lie on the bed and use a coat hanger to help me zip them up. Fun times.
The nineties saw me on a never ending search to find the perfect pair of secondhand Levis 501s. Of course it was easy to go into a vintage shop and pay lots of money for a pair but I much prefered the challenge of trying to find a five buck version at a thrift shop. Of course added to the challenge they had to be the right amount of faded with the right width leg (and trust me, there was nothing sadder than finding the perfect pair of Levis only to look down at the leg and see it was tapered. I'm shuddering at the very thought). Anyway, I ended up having about three pairs of the perfect 501s and each time they died I would cut them into shorts and wear them with black tights and Doc Martins (hey, it was the nineties which meant it was totally allowed!).

As for the noughties my favorite jeans came from England and looked like the bottom half of a pair of overalls. Man, I loved those ones but they literally disintegrated on me and had to be retired to that special jean heaven in the sky. Thankfully, I went on a jeans shopping mission the other day and after trying on about 20 pairs all over town that were all equally horrible, I walked into one store that had two gorgeous pairs and since it's not everyday a girl finds two gorgeous pairs of jeans, I grabbed them both. Anyway, I'll keep you posted on how the new love affair goes!

To be entered to win a signed copy of ZOMBIE QUEEN OF NEWBURY HIGH (or YOU HAD ME AT HALO if you prefer) get nostalgic on us and leave a post below, telling us about the... ahem... most interesting jeans you have ever owned.