Sunday, September 21, 2008

LATTE 4 - MARLENE PEREZ


Our next party gal is Marlene Perez, author of DEAD IS THE NEW BLACK. Give it up for Marlene!!!
Would I lie to you?

Perms were trendy when I was in high school, but I was broke and couldn’t afford a salon perm. My friend, a budding stylist, volunteered to give me a home perm. We went to the drug store and bought the perm. Although my friend assured me that she knew exactly what to do, she’d never given anyone a home perm before.

My nerves were soothed by the efficient way she tied an old sheet around my neck to cover my clothes. She efficiently rolled up my hair into curlers and applied the solution while I daydreamed about my fabulous new look. She set a timer and we settled down to watch General Hospital. Several minutes later, I looked up and noticed that the timer hadn’t moved.

“Uh, Marie?” I said, pointing to the timer. “I don’t think it’s working.”

Her face paled, but she shrugged it off. “Let’s get you rinsed out.” She bolted to the sink, with me in tow. Needless to say, when she was finished, I looked like a poodle.

“D-do you like it?” she stuttered, holding the mirror so that I could only catch a glimpse out of the corner of my eye.

“I love it,” I lied.

“You do?” she said incredulously. “I mean, of course, you do.”

“Would I lie to you?” I responded. It wasn’t exactly a lie. I hated the perm, but I loved my best friend. But not enough to let her touch my hair again. Was the lie worth it? I think so. We’re still friends. I’d like to think that our friendship could survive anything, even a bad perm.