Thursday, September 18, 2008

LATTE DAY 1 - TERI BROWN



Next, give it up for Teri Brown, author of READ MY LIPS that was just released this summer. If you haven't read it yet, you really should. And here's your chance!

I'm currently working on a novel that deals withthe topic of lying at length. My 17-year-old character gets a dream job for a soap opera, only she knows her mother wouldn't approve. At all. So instead of fessing up, my character lies to her mom, telling her she got a job at Disney Land and then has to hide the fact that she's now famous from her monther. It's a win-win situation, right? My character pays for her first year of college and can funnel some money into the family's meager budget.

I think we've all told a lie or two for the greater good... or at least something we thought was for the greater good. It often doesn't turn out that way! Of course, most lies are told on the fly as we desperately try to avoid getting in trouble. It's something like skipping school, taking our Mom's (or daughter's!) makeup, or maxing out the credit card at a Sephora sale. Oh, wait. Did I say that out loud???

See, lying usually doesn't work out so hot. I can never remember exactly what the lie was and it always comes out. So I learned a long time ago that sticking to the truth is safer. And that's the truth.

To be entered to win a copy of READ MY LIPS, leave a reply and tell us about a desperate lie you've told. Come on, fess up!